|Kaltura is a video streaming tool that allows students and faculty to create and share media content from anywhere and any device. Users can upload content in Moodle or Mediaspace. Content in Moodle is restricted to curricular use, while the Mediaspace portal permits sharing content outside of Trinity. Both environments share the same tools and access to the “My Media” personal library.|
Using Kaltura within Moodle
- Course viewing assignments: Students can watch course viewing assignments via Kaltura’s Moodle integration. Requests for films to be added to Kaltura are handled through the Library’s course reserve program. Questions should be directed to Julie Styles, Access Services Librarian.
- Once films have been added, students should click on “Kaltura Media Gallery” in the left navigation menu within their Moodle course.
- See also: adding films from Kanopy or Films on Demand to Moodle.
- Create screen, voice, and presentation captures: Using CaptureSpace, a downloadable desktop application, you can record your screen along with voice and/or presentation slides, trim and crop the video, and order closed captions.
- Create your own library with My Media: In the upper left corner of the Moodle page, under the Dashboard, open the Site Home menu and click “My Media.” My Media is your personal library that you can access regardless of course environment. You can upload content from your own device or you can create new content using the Kaltura CaptureSpace tool. You can then share your content with others in Moodle. (To share content outside of Moodle, login to My Media within the Mediaspace environment. )
- Create student video assignments: Kaltura can accept content students create as part of an assignment. In Moodle, “Add an Activity or Resource” and select “Kaltura Media Assignment.” Students can then use this assignment area as a “dropbox” for their videos to be graded.
Using Kaltura within Mediaspace
Mediaspace is accessed at trincoll.mediaspace.trincoll.com. Trinity users may login using their Trinity credentials and access the CaptureSpace screen capture tool, upload content to their “My Media” personal library, order captions, and then share content with those outside of Trinity.